Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Programming languages I know

There's an interesting post making the rounds on planet.python.org about what programming languages people know and in what order they learned them.

My list (bold for the ones I still use and know well):
  • GW-BASIC (1989-1990) I'll never forget buying an actual programming book. 8-year-old me just devoured it!
  • Turbo Pascal (1992-ish)
  • x86 assembly
  • C
  • Visual Basic
  • HTML (1997?)
  • Perl (2000)
  • LaTeX
  • SQL
  • JavaScript
  • PIC and AVR 8-bit assembly (2004)
  • Verilog (2006)
  • Python (2006)
  • MIPS assembly (2007)
I would say that C, Perl, SQL, Verilog, and MIPS assembly have been the real big "eye-openers" along the way that taught me to think about computers in new ways. But Python is the one I use most and love best these days :-)

If I had more time and persistence, I'd like to learn something Lisp-ish. Every time I've tried, I've given it up quickly. Something about the lack of syntactic differentiation confuses me and turns me off to it. Maybe I should try Haskell...

No comments:

Post a Comment